1. Please email us before you plan to visit to let them know you are interested and discuss any specific needs you may have.
2. We need to have some essential information on all sailors and any carers who wish to sail, before you go on the water. Click here.
3. Check the weather on the day you have planned to visit. We sail in most weathers (including rain) and only stop sailing if the wind gets too strong.
4. On the day, the best clothes are trainers and casual wear. Please do remember that it is colder out on water; do bring an anorak, a hat and gloves.
5. Tideway is located at Surrey Docks Watersports Centre, Greenland Dock, Rope Street, London, SE16 7SX. See our Find Us page for transport info.
6. You will be welcomed by our Officer of the Day and volunteers who will help you decide which boats would best suit you. Our Boats
7. You will be kitted out with a lifejacket and, should it be necessary, we can also offer the use of some waterproofs.
8. We’ll then take you to the pontoon and on to the boat, with the use of a hoist if required.
9. Now the fun part – sailing! Sit comfortably in the boat and enjoy the experience of your first sail.
After an hour or so session it’s back to dry land for a warm drink (you may like to bring a packed lunch) and a chance to chat to other sailors and volunteers.
While we are qualified in providing sailing for the disabled, we are unable to provide personal care. Should you require personal care you should bring your carer, or assistant, with you and we would hope to be able to involve them in sailing.
Got the bug? Come along again and improve your sailing skills. Not sure whether it is for you? Come and enjoy the friendly atmosphere while you decide. Or contribute to Tideway in a supporting role. Either way we really hope you had a great day and we look forward to seeing you again.